Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Time after Time . . . and how it flies

Hi there

Well week three has come and gone - AI; DUS & SC frustration / elation / confusion . . .
(pictures to follow)

Started off with Artificial Intelligence with Maria - launched into some more theoretical concepts - my mind is still reeling from sweet Portia's caskets - I still haven't worked out which casket the protrait is in - which means I'll not be having her hand in marriage that is for sure . . . . I seem to understand the high level stuff but when we drill into it I kind of get a wee bit lost (so to speak) anyway on Wednesday Maria herself stopped sort of half way through everything and said she realises that it is all highly theoretical and abstract - and were there any questions - this is like waving a red flag at a bull with me - always got to open my mouth and say something - not always linked to what we are doing at the time . . . couln't help but complain about the fact that the notes / slides from the classes were not there - albeit that Maria had said that we should use last years slides - but they were in a completely different sequence and for that matter context was also different - so she apologised and promised to get them up apart from that though there were no questions . . . which is strange becuase I'm sure most people did not understand half of what she had covered . . . hey but then again maybe its just me - who knows - poor Portia would have become a spinster - with more of my type around . . .lol

Designing Usable Systems - farce continues - well I had done all my homework -good little boy that I am - even with all the distractions over the weekend . . . anyway when we get to the class it is supposed to be a case of we discuss / agree and then move forward - however we have a member of our group who has taken it upon himself to do NO work in preparation or for the reports - as if that in itself were not bad enough he has now gone one step further and is in obstructionist mode, or that is how it seems, we seem to spend most of the class - 2 hours arguing and explaining with him what we should have done as preparation - and he then goes off at a tangent as to what he is going to do i.e. create a video of commuters at Queen Street & Central Station - which is of no significance other than it sounds good . . . to cut a long story short it seemed that the 2 hours just whizzed past and all we seemed to have time to do was to work out who had to do what to help Murv compile his report for Friday (I was all for taking the previous weeks approach i.e. do nothing unless you have to write the report [incidently got 7 out of 10 for last week's report - not bad]) - so we all left with a set of intructions . . .I had to document the artefacts we had collected and then do a Competitive Product Analysis . . .spent quite some time doing screen dumps and explanatory notes only to receive an email @ about 23h00 on Thursday from Murv to say he had made a mistake and he actually didn't need any of what I had done . . . nice one . . I suppose it was a useful exercise - I can say that now but did not quite express it in those terms on Thursday evening . .

Thursday was Lord Linlithgow and between you & I - I had secretly decided to skip his class on Thursday - it was my only class and I thought I can do a lot more at home given that I have to commute as well . . . I weighed up the pro's and con's and eventually guilt kicked in and I decided to go in - so at the end of the day I could at least say I kept my side of the bargain . . . went in - gave Phil a ring invited him for coffee and then we went up to the class together - guess what - there was a seminar on in the classroom - his Lordship arrived on the scene about 10 minutes later and Yes, our class was cancelled - Morale of the story - listen to your instincts . . . .

Friday was Software Cnstruction practical - starts @ 9am - as I was going to Judi's for the weekend took my gear through to uni - Continued with Java project - I really have to say I have forgotten a lot of what I have learned for my project last year . .so need to do a lot of catch work in this regard . . . Lord Linlithgow outdone himself - he gave us a very good lecture on ArrayList . . .

Andy was successful and has landed himself, what sounds like, a very good position . . so we popped round to the 'Print Works' for a quick beer - also took Arran's P85 into tax office which turned out to be right across the road (well almost) from Print Works - and then I legged it up to Buchanan street and caught my bus to Edinburgh . . .off to watch Scotland vs Wales tomorrow . . .

James my brother - left for New Zealand in the week - that was him returning home after visiting and attending my Mum's 80th . . .

Actually made it back to gym and even had a swim in the week . . . that during a really cold spell here . . . no snow though . . . but that makes me think of the Brazilian girl I bumped into - she had been travelling across Europe for the last 3 months and all she wanted was to see snow - thus far she had been disappointed . . . I was left thinking I hope she was in Aberdeen this week . . . tempertures of -9 degrees and plenty of snow . . .
That's



A link that Judi sent me - wow! - what a lifestyle - watching the the slideshow had a sense of being there and even the movement of the ocean . . . lol - hope you enjoy.


’NZ Blue’ - Papamoa, Ocean Collection 1

Those idiots that draw the Euromillions lotto - got it wrong again - the just keep refusing to draw my numbers what is wrong with them . . . lol

No comments: