Search This Blog

Monday, March 19, 2007

Trident - Baby chute - flu

I am sure you can see why I miss Cape Town at times - picture taken from Blaauwberg looking across Table Bay . . .

Post 1
It may make perfect sense to you - but I could not believe this story the first time I read it in the Metro - but I have since ascertained - as this story belows shows that it is true - unwanted baby chute - I have a picture of these chutes throughout the city like postboxes . . on every street corner - exaggerated no doubt, I know - but this is what it conjured up in my mind . . .
Article: as it appeared in the Boston Herald - just happened to be the first source . . .
He may not qualify for the Guinness Book of Records, but that didn’t stop this drunken German from trying to pass as a baby.

A British Web site reports that Heinrich Mueller, 28, was arrested after imbibing one too many mood-altering beverages and climbing into an emergency drop box for unwanted babies.
The drop-off boxes offer a safe, no-questions-asked policy. Hundreds of babies have been deposited in the boxes set up across Germany and Austria since the program began five years ago.

Once inside the box, the inebriated Mueller slid down a chute, landing in a hospital’s emergency incubator.

The fall triggered alarms among staff that another unwanted newborn had been dropped off. But when workers went to check on the noise, they found Mueller smoking a cigarette. He subsequently passed out as staff worked out how to pry him free.

Post 2:
Well its been a bit of a strange week for me - Sunday I felt myself coming down with something - felt like a temperature coming on - Judi had really spoilt me the weekend - hardly had to think of something and it was there . . . lol - Anyway Sunday was Mothers day and picked up my Mum & sister and we went to wagamama which I can thoroughly recommend - it was something new and different for my Mum and I think - no matter how old you are that is what we all enjoy (he says with a smile on his face knowing full well not everyone would like that - some are more set int heir ways and resist change of any sort - but hey it takes all types does it not - and don't think I am turning my nose up at them - they would probably do the same to me)

By Monday I was not feeling at all well and the flu was starting to bite - I was sore all over - in Afrikaans they have a great word for it 'kleinsierig' - direct translation is little sore - and that is how my whole body felt - and getting up that hill was an effort at uni - by the time I got home I was exhausted and I had my evening class as well . . . I had a sleep and then trucked off to my evening class which given my state was a mission . . .by later that evening I knew that tomorrow i.e. me going to uni was not going to happen - I was now feeling really really sorry for myself - having slept in the afternoon had difficulty getting to sleep and it was closer to 02h00 before I managed to get to sleep - woke up early but felt absolutely terrible - got up at about 08h55 phoned Nicole in my group told her I wasn't going to make it and went straight back to sleep - Ratna sent me a message and asked where I was - sent emails to all my classes apologising that I was not able to attend . . . . Tuesdays is 09h00 through to 16h00 - so its my longest day and there was just no way I could make it - I dozed on and off the whole day - went down and made an appointment with doctor for 14h40 - went to bank / post office etc., - dozed again - back to doctor - and in between found the TV episodes of Heroes online - which I thoroughly enjoyed - all 18 episodes (TV Links ) - there are a host of other programs and even some films (you should try it Margaret) and it helped me make it through my flu - I can tell you - I really enjoyed it. Can't wait for episode 19.

So that's been my week really - recuperating from flu - doctor prescribed an antibiotic and it seems to be helping a lot . . .

What's on for the rest of the week well tomorrow is Friday so I'll be off to Edinburgh @ Judi's - that will be after my Java practical and Artificial Intelligence classes . . .

Going to a New Zealand expo over the weekend - all about working there - what jobs are on offer etc., - Hey, remember what I said about new experiences . . . I'll keep you posted . .

Post 3:
Trident is not something I agree with £70 Bn for a nuclear deterrent - who are we going to nuke?? A street in Birmingham or one in Manchester ??? Someone I know said that its glorified job creation scheme - people who are working in Trident program probably just see it as a means of earning a living. I just think there are better ways to spend this type of money . .

Trident Q&A - Why?
Is this the end of the Trident debate?
more to follow
This week from "What the rest of the world knows about South Africa online journal . . ."
Q: Can you send me the Vienna Boys' Choir schedule? (USA)
A: Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is. oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir plays every Tuesday night in Hillbrow, straight after the Koala Bear races. Come naked.

Q: Do you have perfume in South Africa? (France)
A: No, WE don't stink.

Q: I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Can you tell me where I can sell it in

A: Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fantastic picture !