Search This Blog

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Arran - Work

Photo's - a running tally of American casualties in Iraq . . . of course out of date now . . . forest setting & The Magic compass film

I struggled with an easy decision this week - my son Arran wanted me to take out car insurance for him in my name - after hesitating - I told him in no uncertain terms - that I was sorry but I just wasn't going to do it - the ramifications to him could enormous as he needs to drive for his job - he has managed to have several accidents in the last few months - have I mentioned that he doesn't even have a licence - we always want to do everything we can for our kids - I even seriously considered taking out the insurance - they weave an intricate web and we find it so easy to make excuses for them and their actions - after all they are only human - and I found it hard to say no - even although I have no doubt that it is the right / correct decision. No doubt I will be called every name under the sun - but I'll have no part in anything that could happen to him - I have told him he now needs to take responsibility for his own life and his actions and the affect they have in his life.

Well it had to happen - lol - I am working now.

You know how these things creep up on you . . .when you least expect it - saw an advertisement on the Tuesday morning and by late Friday it was confirmed that I had the job . . . it is a contract position so it is finite at the moment - at least 2 months - and with Cape Town Birthday bash just around the corner and still looking at PhD's - it was the ideal opportunity . . . no idea where it may lead to from here. What am I doing hmm a long story but the executive summary - I am helping a large utility company put together training material that they need some help with a whole raft of new processes they are implementing at the moment - clear as mud - lol. Basically new and exiting processes which need users to be re /trained in. Tight deadlines and quite a number of processes. That's about all I can say.

It's almost the end of my first week and I am feeling a wee bit tired a fair amount of travel - myself and 2 other people in team - we seem to be gelling and thus far agreeing with the way forward - enjoying some of the staff in the company.

The main area I am still getting used to is getting up at some unspeakable time in the morning . . lol. After a number of variations and horrendous traffic on Wednesday - when I had to just abandon my car on the way and turn around and catch a train - I have now worked out the optimal route by train by myself - I drive to a not too distant station and change half way and then catch another train -its not bad really - main thing is it minimises chances of being stuck in traffic like Wednesday . . . I intend buying another car - which is more reliable and would probably drive - well particularly when travel is involved as you are not dependent on times and trains etc., - get up and go basically - whenever you want - also easier to go to work earlier and corner those evasive or too busy execs . . . .and get some answers.

Looking forward to being able to complete some of the material and see its sign-off and or implementation.

Anyway just a short update of what is happening . . . in my life at the moment - it is only 21h25 and have to admit I am exhausted . . lol - sad I know - time for a nice hot bath and a long soak . . . enjoy yourselves . . .

PS - Judi said we'll both be so knackered on the weekend we'll be fighting about whose turn it is to get up to make a cup of coffee . . . .lol - regeneration time . .


I can't wait to see what they have done with Phillip Pullman's book - film the Magic compass

Links:

Kindle get with it man - what is it???

Cooking

No comments: