Search This Blog

Saturday, July 07, 2007

dissertation; Pat Metheny; Alan Johnston; Brown hiccup; Aussie truth;



Last Friday I met up with Judi & her son Andy - they drove through from Edinburgh & I waited for them in Dobbies Loan street - Judi came off on junction 16 and proceeded to get lost - its difficult when you don't know the road and it tends to be quite busy . . .I had gone for a haircut and in all honesty might not have been there had she not lost her way (don't bother telling her that though . . lol). Anyway imagine my surprise when she came from the opposite direction . . .

Jumped in and drove the car round the corner - parked next to Buchanan street bus station and went for a stroll - actually something to eat - I was starving - went to TGIF - but they pulled there usual stunt - would have to wait 45 minutes - not sure what that is about - I am sure there were empty tables - I was not in the mood to wait that long - plenty of other restaurants in close proximity . . . ended up at a Italian restaurant around the corner - which I must say I really enjoyed. We were actaully on our way to the Carling academy - to see of my musical hero's
Pat Metheny with Brad Mehldau on piano. We had time to spare so suggested we pop in at Borders for coffee - we ended up losing each other though - so that didn't work too well . . . although in fairness we did find each other - later . . . .

Arrived at Carling Academy took our seats and patiently waited for senor Metheny & Co., to turn up. Just to give some idea I have been listening to Pat Metheny since the late 70's and I have always really liked him - first heard him on ECM Records - I also heard him with Lyle Mays in the early days.

The set started with just Brad on piano and Pat on electric guitar for some or other reason I was a bit nervous - you know how when you really like something and you want it to mean as much to everyone else ???? Well I was wondering whether Judi & Andy were going to like it and found my mind drifting towards that ona couple of occasions during the evening - I soon put that out of my mind as I was caught up in the music - I will be honest I have not heard Metheny's last couple of albums - yes he is that prolific - so was not 100% sure what direction he had taken - within a short while I knew that he had not strayed too far from familiar waters - so to speak - I must say I was very impressed with Mehldau - he is an outstanding pianist - and I realised from the start that I was in for a treat. Can't really describe all the music they played together for the first several tracks and then brought on Jeff Ballard (drums) and Larry Grenadier (double bass) both very accomplished musicians in their own right - the quartet swung and I thought the interplay was outstanding at times - Pat & Brad were the leaders at all times. Pat played a solo on a 42 string guitar which he had made specially for him (see the photograph) - called a Pikasso - I had trouble even thinking where all the strings went - let alone seeing them - he has this ability to play a bass line whilst leading with the guitar and done this on a number of occasions - parts of this piece sounded like a harp as well - waterfall I think it was called. I would give the concert 10 out of 10 - one of the better concerts I have seen in a while - best since Eddi Reader . . . completely different.

What have I been up to apart from this working on my dissertation - Java IDE's are coming along nicely thank you! - its a slow process - I need to shake a leg here - finishing off my Literature Review next Friday.

Some great news for the week - Alan Johnston finally released - thank goodness for Hamas - I know the west are not talking to them - but there is one happy reporter that believes in them and a set of parents family and friends who take there hat off to them - the Dogmash clan started to get nervous as soon as Hamas took over Gaza - quite an intricate set up - but as I say thank goodness for the likes of Mahmoud Zahar, Hamas minister.

Another comical story - Smeatomania - the Glasgow airport baggage handler who became a hero. A policeman had tackled one of the guys from the jeep driven into the airport building - well the policeman was punched so hard he lost some teeth and had a broken leg - in jumps local superhero Smeaton - who tackled the same guy and brought his man down. "Smeaton International Airport" well he may get a ring from the palace soon . . lol - who knows????




Listening to:
Nitin Sawhney - "It would be easier to jot down what this man can't do than what he can" (The Guardian - of course) Widely recognised as one of the most influential and versatile creative talents alive today.

And
Ulrich Schnauss - pictured at top of Blog

Watching:

The Secret

Vancouver Film School

Legacy of Belfast conflict

I have Brown in my Title - but I have decided to give him another chance - the very least we can do - I have my doubts though - sceptic that I am . . .

That's all Folks!

PS - A special Hello to Archibald in Canada . . . .ex-Milton

No comments: