Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

London in pictures; Travel; Exhausted; Sam & Hud; Floridita; Regent's Park

Oops - late addition - check this out The Wire - full pilot episode - very good - well worth watching - starts on FX channel - which I ain't got . . . ! anyway hope you enjoy. (you have to click on the here word in the write up - could have made it a bit more obvious - I think!

Photo's - me: Judi & I; Regent's Garden splendour of colour - link to full album at the bottom of this blog post; a couple of cartoons Steve Bell showing Brown with cannabis story; Blair & Bush as well as kids Zapiro from Mail & Guardian; Water Babies and scary frog supposed to be an enjoy your weekend grin . . .



Well the great London extravaganza is over - Judi attended her seminar on fertility - Sam & Hud moved into there new home in Ealing - and I kinda hung out a bit - have to admit a wee bit behind on my personal schedule although I believe I will make it up still.

So where did it all start - last Friday basically - left here about 14h00 drove down the station left my car there and caught the train into Glasgow - then caught a bus to Buchanan street bus station (I wasn't really in a hurry) - well bus was empty between Queen street & Central and then we somehow managed to pick up half of Scotland . . . or so it seemed - there was no room for any more luggage and I think every seat was occupied on the bus - I had a kid next to me, about 14 or so - asked me if I was just coming back from my holidays - explained I was off to London - he told me half his family lived there - didn't press him on that - his Mom was with him - could have been his sister - he had a dog on his lap that was panting the whole time - it was too hot to even say hello . . . an Asian chap with about 6 kids - a lot of elderly women another family - as I say it was loaded . . I got off - had to dig my suitcase out from underneath all the baggage . . Caught the 15h30 Citylink from Buchanan street - was quite empty really - turned out to be an express of sorts (not via Bellshill) anyway an uneventful journey - I did read The Big Issue and an interesting article - which I would have to say I agree with says Blair's other legacy - is Housing or should we say the lack thereof and the soaring prices . . . Now I am no economist but if I am selling something and it is a one of a kind it becomes priceless - with houses there are so few and an incredibly high demand the result is that people are prepared to pay over the odds for it . . . the question is why are there so few houses - is this natural has it just happened or has it been manipulated and controlled to the point that people are making much more than they should . . . I pity first time buyers out there it is a veritable minefield and parents are having to put up with the pleasure of their siblings company longer than they had planned or in some instances hoped . . . Simple answer build more houses and lots of them - The States went through a very similar cycle - they kept on building there was no end to the demand - build them and we will come policy - well guess what it has turned the corner and now they have in excess of 1.5m homes that they can't sell . . .don't worry we'll never see that here - but I do think the market will correct itself - so what am I saying - another 3 years before we see anything happening - that's how long it would take to start building and get the houses on the market etc., - cash in while you can . . . of course I could be wrong - will prices fall . . . hmm now there's an interesting one - they could and they might - that all depends on what comes on the market and where . . .most larger cities are build up by about as much as they can be so you won't suddenly see 200 000 house come on the London housing market - so it won't make a major impact on their house prices - but I do agree with the article Blair has more than Iraq to answer for . . .

So there I was on the Citylink bus reading my Blair article - something about him just grates me - anyway enough of him . . . Arrived at Waverley to catch the bus for Edinburgh airport - and pray why am I leaving from Edinburgh as we have our own airport - somewhat scarred by a 4x4 - well this was because it was easier for Judi - we went to Rome from Prestwick - OK Ryan air don't fly from Edinburgh - Hey were going to South Africa in march next year from Glasgow - so only seemed fair - caught 17h30 bus - is anyone reading this . . . lol - or thereabouts and we had ages to wait as our flight was only 20h40 - when we arrived they wouldn't even take our luggage - shooed us away - told us to come back later . . . . - anyway found an amazing bottle of whisky whilst doing my rounds - Glenmorangie - 100% proof - very special as a house warming present - cost a fortune - money doesn't matter in these instances - I think she was suitably impressed . . . eventually arrived in London about 22h30 - had to then make our way to the tube - had to change at Leicester Square -could have gone straight had I known Russell Square was actually closer than Euston -oh well arrived @ Tavistock at about 00h15 or thereabouts - I had a fancy new suitcase - cost me £9.99 - I should have known - turned out to be rubbish - to be fair I had a hell of a lot in it - but if anything should have been more stable not less in my mind??? - anyway it had a hole in it before we even arrived at the hotel . . .

Next day up early-ish - down for breakfast - for some or other reason we were both very thirsty - rushed for the juice and ugh - not only was it warm - it tasted watered down as well . . . ugh! - I was not impressed - expected something nice and cold - what a shocker. Food - OK - service bad; I was nearly knocked of my feet by a waiter who just carried on walking ???? - it had its pluses - main one being location - it was really in a great location - Judi could just walk to her seminar - we could also easily walk to Covent Garden; Soho; King's Cross; Piccadily Circus etc., so that is really its main feature - next time I'll book into Holiday Inn - you know what you are going to get - Tavistock was just a bit jaded - clean enough - fine in that respect. We had a corner room - overlooking the square - I could not sleep properly - with all the traffic - 24 hours a day - also seemed to be a main route for ambulance; fire brigade; police and anything else with a siren - would wake up in the middle of the night - with loud wailing noises from whatever was passing . . . it was very hot which meant I had window open which made it worse . . . vicious circle.

Anyway - took a quick walk to see where Royal College of Physicians was - near Regent's Park - Park Square East - and we were pleasantly surprised that we were only 10 minutes away - spent the day in Regent's Park - went through to Soho afterwards then for dinner that evening - Floridita - 100 Wardour Street - Floridita, the amazing new addition to London's restaurant scene. Floridita is all about passion for life… authentic charm… authentic exhilaration… authentic Cuba!

With a live Cuban band every evening, Floridita is the number one live entertainment restaurant and bar in the heart of the capitals West end. I must say it was fantastic - food was great - we managed to get a special Sam is a member of a club called Top Table - ended up costing us an arm and a leg - I had to go the full hog and have a cigar afterwards . . . which made me a little ill for a while - but not as ill as some people . . .lol - a great evening was had by all.

Next day went through to Sam & Hud's new place and hung out with them - Judi joined us later we just sat outside and had a few drinks and pizza . . . Judi was exhausted - so was Sam . . .

Monday - I studied - and in the early evening Sam joined us we all went to Nando's - which Sam paid for then back to the hotel and a fairly early evening . . .

Tuesday I started coming down with something - not sure what - I was exhausted - felt unwell on plane - slightly nauseous - pains all over - short of breathe - which has carried on for most of the week . . . straight to bed when we got back to Judi's place . . . up early - caught Citylink - slept most of the way when I got home I was exhausted and slept most of the rest of the day . . . its only today Friday that I have started to come right again - having said that woke up yesterday Thursday and could hardly walk - when I went to sleep my ankle was fine - woke up could hardly walk on it . . . .???? This evening I have toothache - I have been forced to have a glass of whiskey . . . medicinal purposes, I assure you . . lol - Oh well that is more or less my week - been struggling to do my uni work - kicked in OK today but it has been a struggle concentrating . . . what do you think of this RockYou photo collage - not sure I like it so much any more . . . only two links to share with you - firstly I am including one of the photo's of he water babies form last week and now let's see - Oh yes Swan upping - another side of life again . . . and then something else I came across which includes an amazing first photo colour-wise - anyway you be the judge . . . International News Photo's

Webshots Regent's Park album



Would the week be complete without a link to Harry Potter of course . . link courtesy of Hafsa who sent it to me . . . thanks - waiting for my copy of the book to be delivered on the morrow . . .

No comments: