Search This Blog

Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Final - SA07 VFY

There is a lot that can be said about Saturday evening's game . . . but I am ahead of myself - where was I - who did I watch it with . . . let's start there - shall we -

(Photo of Pietersen; Percy Montgomery (scorer of 12 of the points) and Habana - David Rogers/Getty Images - appeared on
Scotland on Sunday




My self & Phil have been texting and emailing each other since the beginning of the World Cup - and it only seemed a fitting finale that we should meet up for the final - the fact that he was an England supporter and I a Springbok was more coincidental but was to add to the evening. I suggested we meet up at Walkabout - so on Saturday - Springbok jersey on, Judi & I made our way to Walkabout - arrived at about 17h10 and Phil, Emma & Katie arrived minutes after us - we quickly scrambled around for a table and managed to find one centrally located - well off to one side but with a view of a second large screen which they had - the pub was mobbed in no time - turned out Phil had his England top on underneath his jersey - a tad nervous to brazenly wear it in the street and on public transport - didn't take much coaxing and he was proudly displaying his top - chest out and promises of things to come. In no time the pub was mobbed with mostly South African supporters - I could have quite easily believed I was back in a pub in Cape Town - there were that many supporters - and then when the DJ starting playing the Habana song; Johnny Clegg (Scatterlings of Africa) Leon Schuster & other Afrikaans liedtjies - the vision was complete . . . I had a Springbok burger and a few beers in the run up to the kick-off - whilst Aston Villa attempted to keep Man U's score down (they had been in the lead but Carson was sent off and they were down to 10 men . . . it threatened to to become embarrassing - reserve keeper saved penalty and went on to do a commendable job).

In no time it was time for the kick off - by this time there were far too many people in the pub - trying to get to either the bar or cloakrooms was like trying out for a position in the scrum - in fact I was challenged to go head to head with one guy at one stage - as there was only room for one person to get through at a time and he suggested we scrum for it . . . . not sure what he meant - probably whoever managed to push the other out of the way could carry on . . . lol ???

The long awaited game arrived and on reflection it was not a spectacle for the game of rugby - a calculated game - very exciting - quite drawn out at times - all penalties - the team that made the most mistakes lost - I could attempt to give an overview of the game but if your interested here are some links which sum it all up.

Judi & I took to the dance floor on a number of occasions thereafter and everyone who wore the green and gold were one big happy family - when I walked around afterwards - people would stop and shake my hand or just give me a hug for no reason other that to celebrate a great victory - the same happened continually on the dance floor . . . In a way I had hoped for a great game in the end I settled for the victory instead.

Phil seemed to take it OK in the end - disappointed - but already looking forward to the next World Cup and he has already bought tickets for the Scotland England 6 nations game next year . . . Judi saw an amazing article in the Scotland on Sunday - which said that they had hoped England would win - because then when we beet them in March next year - as we did in 1967 after the football world cup - we would then be able to say that by proxy that makes us World Champions - ??? You think ??? A missed opportunity then . . . . lol

Some Reports - Articles on the Rugby World Cup:


Roll on 2011 in New Zealand . . . would love to be there . . . this will be after attending football World Cup in South Africa!

What is the cryptic number in the title - well whilst driving towards Walkabout this car moved in front of us and my attention was drawn to the number plate - so I said to Judi - that's it that is the final in front of us - she laughed and asked me what in the world was I talking about . . .I said SA07 was a sign South Africa 2007 and she laughed and asked what about the VFY - had to be a bit more inventive here . . . and answered - it will be very fine but yes - they will win . . . . lol and so it was . . . .

No comments: