Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Transition, Work, PhD





Photo's taken in Edinburgh - 'The Meadows' - over the weekend . . .

Well here we are - 1 year since I started this Blog and my MSc . . . how time has flown - where to from here . . . well it is a period of transition again . . . something of an anti-climax I'll have to change my description although I've decided to keep my Blog title as this is how it started - even although I may move away from the 'aspirant code-borrower' that I was and return to my core of Learning and Development.

I am still keen to study further - to complete my PhD . . . I have applied been for an interview with Paisley - was invited for an interview with Stirling but they cancelled it before I could get there and dazzle them as they did have enough candidates - I was to take the Masters in Research route which would have meant 4 years instead of 3yrs for PhD . . . So I am still keeping an eye on studentships - but these things work in cycles - September is the current wave which has passed - next wave will be January intake and then it may move to April/September again - not sure - so this leaves with the dilemma . . . and of course there is no guarantee that I will be successful with an application - I am going to look at the possibility of part-time study as an option . . .

Anyway at the moment I am actively seeking the perfect position . . . what is that you are asking - well let's start with it would have to meet the following criteria:
  • interesting

  • close to home

  • challenging
  • strong technology component

  • variety

  • well paid

  • a research component

  • good career prospects
  • permanent

  • great work atmosphere

  • flexible working

  • some travel would be nice (as part of the position)


Hey fairly straightforward - not asking for much . . . needless to say the I am finding tons of positions which meet my requirements . . . . and they are all falling over themselves to appointment me at the salary I want . . . lol - I believe it will arrive soon - yes, I am the eternal optimist.



My predictions for the weekend - I'm in trouble again - Argentina to beat South Africa (dangerous one) and France to pip England - so France vs Argentina final and who is going to win . . . it is anyone's game . . . lol.

No comments: