Search This Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Update - Buddy Guy - Scottish Proms - Night Out

Well Howdy - how time has flown again - phew! Need to give you an update as to what ahs been happening in my life sine London Town

Reading Sonia Choquette - Ask Your Guides which I am finding very interesting and a friend of mine has just given me a set of motivational CD's by Joe Vitale which I am listening to whilst driving to and from work every day . . . so keeping myself busy.

Speaking of work this is my last two weeks now - finish off on 11 July - looking unlikely that they will keep me on after that - spoke to K and she has been very helpful and made a proposal which would be to everyone's benefit - but I am not sure that they will be able to work like that . . .

So where to from here - a couple of applications pending - I am optimistic - one way or the other something will turn up . . .

Haven't really been up to a lot so I will just inform you of the highlights . .

Thursday 26 June went to Carling Academy - to see Buddy Guy - now way back in 80's I used to be in the music industry (in a past life . . . lol - that's how it feels sometimes) - [couldn't got to Blue Chip evening] - I used to see 'A man e the Blues' - it was a regular seller - so I was really looking forward to the concert - he is an outstanding blues guitarist . . . I was mildly disappointed with the concert - I might be a bit old fashioned - I expected him to work through a repertoire of his music and give good value for money at the end of the day I felt he was there to enjoy himself and give a few Blues standards not even necessarily his own material - just a few bones for the pack of dogs so to speak - enough to satisfy them - keep them quiet - I enjoyed most of what he played - I just felt it was understated and he could have was capable of doing more but that he at no time actually pushed himself . . . spent and extended period of time in the audience - doing nothing much other than checking out the local talent - another colleague from work was there and said they knew what I meant but that his concert last time was very similar - when he left stage no encore - my friend said that was how it was last time as well - he is over 70 he said . . . as I say I enjoyed but remain mildly disappointed.

Friday night went out with a whole bunch of people on Friday night - to West End of Glasgow - venue (The Salon) was a pleasant setting - an old cinema which has been converted - nice a spacious - not too impressed with service - food was good - Vietnamese chicken curry. But being shown to 3 different tables all of which were the wrong one's was a nuisance - had the whole group of us 12 people moving back and forth . . . went somewhere else and then ended up back at the Hilton . . . was an enjoyable evening - just caught a taxi home.

Went on Saturday evening to the Scottish Proms at the Royal Concert Hall which was great - the conductor is a lively character - at times looked as though he himself was loosing himself in the music . . a massive ensemble the Royal Scottish National Orchestra are somewhere in the region of about 70 musicians - they then had the National Chorus there who must have numbered about 100 - a pipe band joined in towards the end - the first half of the evening was devoted more to traditional classics with the second half becoming more of a truly Scootish event - some reels - Highland Academy; Flower of Scotland; Auld Lang Syne; etc., What was interesting was the full front section had had the seats removed so that people could perhaps let themselves go with flag waving and a wee jig etc., - a much older crowd present and they burst into spontaneous song with the more well known tunes - I found it quite moving really.

Just back from the pictures saw Narnia - Prince Caspian - to drawn out and basically a kids film . . . not all that good I'm afraid - I have my doubts about Will Smith in 'Hancock' a superhero with attitude - just all sounds a bit iffy . . . seems they don't make a lot of films for me these days - what am I going to do about it - Read! lol

No comments: