Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

South Africa Vs Scotland - Wow!

Left for Murrayfield - Judi had offered to come and pick me up as that way I would loose minimum time for studies - so she drove over from Edinburgh - passing Murrayfield along the way and came and picked me up - we drove back and were there in plenty of time - I am the most laid back person but I really don't like rushing - I like to be laid back and being in plenty of time allows me to do this. Well we had no sooner hit the A82 when the one windscreen wiper came flying off - pulled over to the side of the road and stuck it back on - Mr Fixit - on our way again - a sign No! . . . parked the car and I had my Springboks beanie on - no sooner out the car than I was roped in to a tug of war . . . we lost . . .

There was almost a carnival atmosphere in the air . . . they had lots of caravans selling beer - but they were all mobbed anyway after queueing for ages managed to get 2 beers - Judi had disappeared into another queue that looked shorter - but she was still standing there by the time I had been served . . . mostly South African supporters drinking and making merry - good banter and lots of Afrikaans being spoken - I almost felt at home . . .

Anyway with about 15 minutes to spare we took our seats just in time to see the teams come out and warm up a little and then time for the national anthems - I told Judi to listen to the SA anthem as it has 3 languages - starts off in Xhosa Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika; then Afrikaans followed by English - I said to listen to the volume - that will be when the Afrikaans kicks in and true enough the Xhosa was there but by word when it went into "Uit die blou van onse hemel . . .
Die Stem . . . the wave of sound just crashed over us - I was singing along anyway . . . . Then it was time for all of us Scots to (I'm getting a bit confused here - which cap do I have on now) to out sing the Springbok fans - sort of an unofficial match in itself . . . something both the Welsh and Irish excel at as well . . . we don't mind when they lose anyway . . . . so we launched ourselves into O Flower of Scotland, . . . and if I am honest I saw a few Springbok fans helping us out - perhaps returning the favour . . . who won I would have to say Die Stem - but as that is not the whole anthem Flower of Scotland took it.



As a warm up game for South Africa it probably did not feature too highly - after Scotland's outstanding performance against Ireland which they won 31 - 21 - I have to say I expected much more from Scotland. Give them their due they started off well and it was all Scotland for the first 20 minutes roughly - Scotland basically stayed in South Africa's half and it looked it could turn into a very interesting game - however I have to say I found the Scots very 1 dimensional - always trying the same thing and given the score line - you can see it just didn't work - at all - Scotland scored first with a penalty kick and were off to a good start we thought. However from Scotland's point of view that was as good as it got . . . . South Africa on the other hand after a very shaky first 15 minutes (your wondering hmmm Scots played well for 20 mins but Boks only played badly for 15 maths don't add up) well that was how it went and then the tide turned and it was all South Africa and it soon became a case of how much they were going to beat Scotland by . . . I found myself drifting during the game listening to snippets of Afrikaans being spoken - re-connecting in a way with the natural friendliness of the Afrikaner - who can be an incredibly social animal especially when his team and country are walking away with the game - yes there was some arrogance from some of the younger Springbok supporters - which at times bordered on taunting but on the whole as it normally is with rugby in this fine nation it was good light hearted banter - I say this because the same can not be said for a football game anywhere in the UK - Arran and I went to Hampden to watch Scotland and USA - wow you basically get hemmed in one area and that's it you sit down - and watch the game - except the whole Tartan Army (Scotland's fanatical football supporters) they stand for the whole game and sit down at half time - but they are on their feet again immediately there is any hint of the ball being kicked again. That was an experience . . .anyway back tot he rugger.

Second half I am afraid to say was boring - no points were added the whole of the second half - we had to start a Mexican wave . . . . I think the Springbok coach said right how can we get the most out of the 2nd half - I know we'll let Scotland attack and we'll see whether we can just prevent them from scoring . . . which they did - Scotland did mount a few useful attacks but it never came to anything - why run into 4 Springbok players?? Is your name Moses??? Scotland did it time and time again - not once did it pay off - what happened to a little chip over the back-line and run onto the ball - remember they have to turn and chase - you just run onto it . . . but no we will run through the Springbok defence - duh! No I don't think so boys, you'll need to be a bit more creative than that . . . . What was the final score Scot 3 - South Africa 27.

We sat around afterwards had a beer and a hot dog - just basking in the sun - turned into a lovely day actually a braai (barbecue would have been great) anyway hit the road and we decided to just get a take-away and I had decided it made sense to go and order a pizza - go to ASDA and then come back for the pizza well that was the plan . . . (sinister music plays quietly in the background) - ordered pizza - back in the car - car wouldn't start - Judi member of AA - phoned them to come out to assist us. Round about this time I noticed I didn't know where my phone was - turned out I lost it ???? or it was stolen off me - who knows -bottom line its gone - used Judi's line to report it stolen - that was that - when I reported it to the police my reference number is mck280807 - that shows me just how organised they are . . . NOT!

We waited about 45 minutes - luckily we had our pizza's before they came out - it was the battery - need a new battery - they started it we drove it up to my place parked it on hill (it is Barrwoodhill after all) and I drove down to Asda to get some supplies . . . - next morning car would not start - a quick push down hill and got it going - before we left I suggested we go to Halford's and have a new battery fitted - you see there was almost no petrol left in the car plus what would Judi do to get to work tomorrow etc., - anyway done that and walked across to carphone warehouse to get a new sim card and I ended up buying a cheap pay as you go phone - so I would be contactable again.

And that was the weekend . . . . Wow! - Bring them on I have been heard to say what with my experiences the previous weekend and this now . . . I'm beginning to think - perhaps it was unwise to say so . . . . I could tell you tale of the £160 and how it was there but not there - and because it wasn't there the problems it caused . . . even although it was there . . . .lol

Cya
Andrew

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a relaxed weekend in the Lake District,you have earned it. We used to meet friends we met in Joburg & like us came home, at Hawkshead Mags